Thursday, July 26, 2018

update: first day of school

Every year I talk with students about independent learning and how, in the end, there comes a point where school and learning serve two very different purposes in life.  In school, you follow directions because you associate a reward or punishment with your performance. It's human to seek pleasure (reward) and avoid pain (punishment).

Learning is different. Learning is an active process that we do all on our own, and sometimes we do it best when no one is telling us to or even watching us while we do it. If you know someone who spends hours by herself drawing or practicing an instrument, you know what I mean.

Every year on the first day of class, I describe a way to learn with each other that's different than what most students are used to. Then I walk out of the room so that students can make up their minds for themselves. This can seem strange to people who are used to being told what to do, but by the end of the year it will seem normal -- at least for us.

Why bother writing all this to you now, on July 26?  Because I'm not going to be in class on the first day of school.  So it will be up to you to read what's here on the blog and ask Ms. Anderson questions (she used to be a student of mine and she's been through this before).  We will discuss all this when I show up the next day (Tuesday, August 14), but there's no reason to keep you in suspense, which is why I spelled it out in the post just underneath this one.

Your only real job between now and the time we meet each other on Tuesday, August 14 is to read what's on this blog and think about it.  Ask yourself: what makes sense to you?  What doesn't?  What excites you about learning? What makes you uncomfortable?  This is your opportunity to think about what you really want. If you want to get started on Richard Cory and blow the doors off the course by reciting it on Tuesday, great. If you want to meet me first and ask me questions about what you read here, great. If you want to comment to this post or the others, or if you want to start a conversation by sending me an email, do it: dpreston.learning@gmail.com.

There is only one way you can fall behind, and that is by ignoring what's on this blog and walking in Tuesday like nothing's happened.  Don't do that.

We're not going to have a lot of time to get to know each other before you start making decisions, so start thinking about this now. Ask around-- you may know people who took my class in the past. They'll tell you: this is for real.

Looking forward to working with you.  Have a great first day!

Best,
Dr. Preston

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

thank you

As often as I say it, I feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank You. Thank you for your effort, your insight, your willingness...