Tuesday, December 4, 2018

december 4

JOURNAL TOPIC: [today's tunes: "Give Peace a Chance" by John Lennon]

When I read a fiction book, I usually give it 100 pages.  By that time, I have a sense of the author's tone and voice.  I feel like I know enough about the setting and the characters to determine whether I'm interested in finding out what happens next.  When my wife and I learn about a new TV show we haven't seen, we use the "5 Minute Rule" -- if either of us becomes bored within the first five minutes, we find something else to do.  (We don't have much time to watch a show, so it has to be good!)

How do you know when you're interested in a book or any kind of story?  How much of a chance do you give it?

AGENDA:
1. Journal
2. Les Miserablés -- today we get to page 100 and the inciting incident

POST:
1. Update your Google Doc with lit circle work
2. On your blog, write about this question: What was it like to read the action in Les Mis after all that exposition?  Are you excited to find out what happens next? (title: INCITING INCIDENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you

As often as I say it, I feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank You. Thank you for your effort, your insight, your willingness...