Wednesday, May 1, 2019

ignite talks

Carina: Is there life somewhere else besides Earth?  Over the break I read that NASA is doing research on this and they have found different planets and stars where this may be possible.

Danny:  What is a mink?  I was online when I saw an item about minks killing muskrats.  But then I learned all sorts of other things about minks that made me think differently.  People judge minks unfairly for being vicious just like Javert judges Jean Valjean in Les Mis.

Celeste: Why are prices so high for prescription medications?  This is something people need.  One drug went from $4/month to $600/month.  People's lives depend on this.  And why does the government sell some drugs that are just like the ones people get on the street from drug dealers.  I plan to ask families more about this.

Kate: Why is art important?  My early research is that people art to express their feelings and share that with others.  Art isn't just drawing, it includes other media like sculpture and music.  Some people think art is good or bad, others just use it to decorate their homes and appreciate beauty.  I'd like to learn more about why anyone would think art is bad.

Marcos: Do babies cry in the womb?  I learned that they don't because they are growing in fluid.  I plan on doing more research.

Alexis: (absent)

Leo:  What happens after we die?  After you take your last breath there are 4-6 minutes when you still have enough oxygen in your brain to revive you.  I am doing more research on this.

Maria: What happens after we die?  We still have cells that are living.  We need to learn more about the dying process.  I started my research and I look forward to learning more.

Jacob: Have you ever been excited about a new addition to your family but then tragedy strikes?  What causes miscarriage? 

Destiny: Why do people treat others differently based on race?  Some people act like they're better or superior.  One connection in Les Mis is how higher class people abuse lower class people.  I plan to go to the library to do more research.

Kevin: What can we know about the universe?  This is a huge topic and I did some research online over the break.  One thing I explored is that recently we finally got our first picture of a black hole in outer space.  Next I am going to find out what people are learning so I can too.

Areli: How would people survive if they don't have meat to eat?  I researched and found that people would save money and get less fat and heart disease.  One connection to this course is that sometimes what you need is different than what you want.  I want to talk to people who have decided to become vegan or vegetarian.

Jovanny: Are sports important in our everyday lives?  It turns out only 23% of Americans get enough exercise.  I tested myself -- when I skip workouts I don't feel as good as when I run.  I think everyone should stay active.  It is a proven fact that people who exercise live longer.

Samantha: How do emotions work in the brain?  Many people have good times and rough times, and I want to know more about how we respond.  I did some research on emotions and the brains, and how our feelings influence our actions.  Jean Valjean's emotions led him to make sure Cosette is safe, for example.  I want to do more research to find out how our brains and bodies influence our emotions.

Efrain: Why do school shootings happen?  They happen when people are depressed or have suicidal thoughts.  Recently a man shot 10 people at a HS in Texas, and at an elementary school a man shot children and killed his mother. 

Pablo: (absent)

Celmon: (absent)

Cristian: (absent)

Adrian: Where did ocean water come from?  About 3.9B years ago meteorites and asteroids crashed into the Earth.

Wilkison: How did life begin on Earth?  Is there life anywhere else in the universe?  I learned about Stephen Hawking, and that maybe Earth was created by a "Big Bang" or explosion from a supernova.  I plan to keep researching to see what other opinions people have.

Angel: Will robots replace us and take our jobs?  During the break I learned how China replaced many workers with robots.  Companies are looking to save money and using robots and computers doesn't take as much money-- they also make less mistakes and they don't get sick or mistakes.

Jesus: [TBD]

Giovanny: I wonder if phones distract or help people.  Over the break I made a list of the pros and cons.  I started learning that they sometimes help us get more organized and stay productive.  That connects to this class because of the way we can use our phones.

Angela: (absent)

Thamara: Why do people dream?  

Diana: My topic is how people see the world so differently.  Over the break I talked to people from different backgrounds.  My next step is to see if I can find someone who has gone through something difficult to see what they've learned.  One connection to the course -- Les Mis, actually-- is that people who have been in jail (like Jean Valjean) see the world differently.

Joaquin: [TBD]

Denisse:  My big question is how to start a company.  Over the break I learned that it's hard for women to start businesses but it's inspiring because there are some very successful women in business.  I plan to start a blog that leads to a business.  I want to be successful so I can start scholarships and help others be successful too.

Alondra: The symptoms of heart disease can be pressure, pain, or tightness in the chest. I plan to do more research on this topic and share what I learn.

Brayan: How do scientists know that dogs mix up colors and are colorblind?  I read research studies over the break to learn more about this.  Dogs get tested like students.  I plan to

Brandi: What is life?  I researched that there is different thinking on this; some people say we should explore new things and make it exciting.  Others say that we should endure it because it's hard.  I say we should use our life to figure it out.

Joselin: (absent)

Tatiana: Is there an afterlife? 

Jocelyn: Why does deja vu occur?  Why do we sometimes get the feeling that we've experienced something before?

Linda: (absent)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you

As often as I say it, I feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank You. Thank you for your effort, your insight, your willingness...